Friday, May 24, 2013

Five for Friday

This is my first time linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. I'm excited to share some randomness going on in my life, but first I want to say I was really touched today watching the news. A teacher from the Oklahoma disaster area was interviewed who taught a class for kids with autism, and she said they didn't really know what was going on. She let them text or tweet their parents from the IPAD (knowing the service was out and it would not connect), while huddled in the corner protecting them. I have been so inspired by the teachers of the past tragedies (Newtown and Oklahoma), it really made me think what I would do in that situation. I remember the morning of Newtown I had to leave my class for some inclusion time and started getting teary eyed thinking I would not be with my babies if someone walked in terrorizing the school at that moment. The families, teachers, and first responders of this tragedy have been in my prayers all week.
Here are my random 5 moments for the week:

WINNING: I won a very cool packet at Autism Classroom News. That included a very cute weather dressing activity. I was so excited because I wrote IEPs last month for some of my kids to identify the appropriate clothing for given weather conditions.She is participating in the awesome link up where donations from TPT stores are going to help Oklahoma Teachers. 

BOGO Book Giveaway: I'm hosting a book giveaway and here are the books you can enter to win. 
If You Give A Dog A Donut by Laura Numeroff
How Do You Hug A Porcupine? by Lauris Isop
Skippyjon Jones Class Action by Judy Schachner
Froggy Builds A Tree House  by Jonathan London

We have a contract: Our offer was accepted and we are closing on a house in mid June. This is what I'll be doing all summer long. 
 

Texas Autism bills: The bill mandating cameras in self contained special education classrooms conveniently died Tuesday, because it did not make it to the calendar on time. I do understand the outrage by the parents who have worked really hard to get this bill as far as it has gone, but lets look on the bright side, people are TALKING about it. Also, the Texas state House of Representatives has just sent Gov. Rick Perry a bill that would do away with the age cap on autism insurance benefits, which is currently at age 10. (yeah I wish autism disappeared at age 10)

Autism Positivity Button: Please check out this au-some website I found this week. It is really inspiring and a peek into what it is like to live with autism on a daily basis







3 comments :

  1. Thanks Lacey for the shout out.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for seeing that your offer was accepted! I'm assuming then that the inspection went well... Thinking I may just have to come to YOUR pool this summer, haha! :) Is that seriously in your backyard? UBER jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BlueHost is ultimately the best web-hosting company for any hosting plans you might require.

    ReplyDelete